Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Also known as Pulla, a Finnish bread. I love this bread toasted with just a little bit of butter.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 -8 whole cardamom pods, seeded and crushed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 -9 cups sifted white flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, eggs, and enough flour to make a batter. Beat till smooth and elastic. Add about 3 cups flour and beat well. Add the melted butter and stir in well. Beat again. Stir in remaining flour for a stiff dough.
- Turn out on board. Let rest, covered, 15 minutes.
- Place onto greased bowl, turn and cover. Let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down and let rise again (about 30 minutes).
- Shape on greased bake sheet. Typically, this bread is braided but it can also just be in the form of a loaf. Let rise again (about 20 minutes).
- Glaze with 1 egg (beaten) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minute Remove when light golden brown.