1 hr 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
I lived in Iwakuni, Japan and had many friends. This is a recipe I learned to cook while living there,on a kerosene burner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour 1 tablespoon oil on a hot square griddle.
- 2Mix eggs, rice vinegar, salt, water and butter and dashi with whisk. Whip until frothy.
- 3Pour one/half of egg mixture on griddle, turn heat to medium. Make sure it is thin.
- 4Lift the edges on all sides and let eggs run under. So that it begins to set in the middle. Do not overcook.This is important because you need it a little soft to hold the onions and shrimp. Take off heat.
- 5Note: Now you can spread 1/2 of the shrimp paste and spring onions, or wait and unroll after the eggs are formed. Either way you must be careful because the cooked eggs are thin. Carefully lift edges on all sides. Cover one lifted edge with a towel. Carefully.
- 6Roll up jelly roll fashion. Take roll off griddle carefully.
- 7Pour 2nd tbsp oil on a hot square griddle.
- 8Pour the other half of the egg mixture. Do the same steps.
- 9Gently unroll the first one and fill with one-half mashed shrimp and one half spring onions. Roll up as tight as you can in a towel.
- 10Do the same thing with the second egg mixture. Roll up as tight as you can in a towel. Cool both rolls in the towels. Remove towels. Then slice in 1 1/2 inch slices.Place on serving plate.
- 11Eat with chopsticks and dip in Kikkoman soy sauce or dipping sauce of your choice. Or if you are adventurous, a little wasabi paste, a very hot Japanese horseradish.
- 12This sounds complicated, but if you do it a few times it is not.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nippon Egg Roll With Spring Onions & Baby Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.9
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 288.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: