Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Another wonderful recipe's from Ninfa's restaurant, a legendary Mexican restaurant chain in the Houston area. This is usually served as a side with their fajitas.I found this in the food section of the Houston Chronicle.This doubles or triples well and freezes beautifully.
- 2 cups pinto beans, cooked and drained (reserve 1 pint liquid from cooking beans)
- 1⁄4 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into 1/8 inch dice
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring beans and liquid to a boil in a pot.
- In a small skillet,saute tomatoes,onions,and jalapeno with bacon.
- Remove skillet from heat and drain excess fat.
- Add bacon mixture to boiling beans.
- When soup comes to a boil again, add cilantro and lemon juice.
- Simmer 5 minutes and serve.