Recipe by Emilee G.
This is my family's favorite flan. The recipe is from Ninfa's restaurant.
Top Review by purplefluff
Yum Yum Yummmy! I have made this twice and taken it to work. Everyone just adored it!!!! Here are a couple tips I've found when prparing this recipe. I don't have a food processor so I used my blender and it worked just as well. Cool carmelized sugar before adding egg mixture. I used 9" cake pan and placed it on a cookie sheet. Place the pan on the cookie sheet before you pour in egg mixture. Then place the 2 pans in the oven. Once pans in the oven add the water to the cookie sheet. This helps prevents possible water spills during transport. To check for doneness place a knife in the flan and if it comes out fairly clean it is done.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Choose a baking pan that will withstand the heat of the caramelized sugar---this is your flan pan.
- Caramelize sugar* in a heavy skillet; pour into flan pan.
- Whip remaining ingredients in food processor and then pour onto the caramelized sugar.
- Place flan pan into a larger pan with 1" of hot water and bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- *To caramelize sugar: Place sugar only into a heavy pot or skillet over high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar melts and starts to turn amber in color.
- This syrup is VERY hot and must be handled quickly and safely.