Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A luscious dessert from Mama Ninfa, founder of the popular Ninfa's Restaurants as published in the San Antonio Express News. Cooking time is approximate.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons lard or 4 tablespoons shortening or 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small bits
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
for each empanada
- 8 -10 small fresh bananas, sliced
- 8 -10 tablespoons dark seedless raisins
- 8 -10 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 8 -10 teaspoons honey
- 1 egg white, for sealing edges
- oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 slices fresh bananas
- 1 teaspoon chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon dark seedless raisins
- 4 1⁄2 ounces vanilla ice cream (1 scoop)
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1⁄4 cup caramel sauce (available in grocery stores or make your own cajeta sauce)
- To make dough: Measure flour and sugar into bowl; stir to mix.
- Add fat and thoroughly work it into the flour.
- Dissolve salt in water (mix with egg yolk, if using), and add to flour mixture; mix to form a medium-stiff dough.
- Knead for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into about 8 to 10 equal parts, roll into balls, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to rest.
- For each empanada, roll a ball of dough into a flat round, tortilla- shape, about 8 inches in diameter (use a tortilla press, if available).
- Place on a hot pan and cook briefly on one side.
- On the center of the tortilla, with the cooked side to the inside, put bananas, raisins, pecans and honey.
- With a small pastry brush, brush egg white around the edges and fold it over to form a half-moon shape.
- Press around the edges to seal with a fork.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a wide frying pan and heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Fry empanadas for 2 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and let drain.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over top, then cinnamon.
- Garnish with banana slices, pecans, and raisins.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, top with the cherry and accompany with a pitcher of warm cajeta (caramel) sauce.
The crust was great. This was really easy to make.