A luscious dessert from Mama Ninfa, founder of the popular Ninfa's Restaurants as published in the San Antonio Express News. Cooking time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons lard or 4 tablespoons shortening or 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small bits
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
for each empanada
- 8 -10 small fresh bananas, sliced
- 8 -10 tablespoons dark seedless raisins
- 8 -10 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 8 -10 teaspoons honey
- 1 egg white, for sealing edges
- oil, for frying
- 1To make dough: Measure flour and sugar into bowl; stir to mix.
- 2Add fat and thoroughly work it into the flour.
- 3Dissolve salt in water (mix with egg yolk, if using), and add to flour mixture; mix to form a medium-stiff dough.
- 4Knead for 4 to 5 minutes.
- 5Divide dough into about 8 to 10 equal parts, roll into balls, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to rest.
- 6For each empanada, roll a ball of dough into a flat round, tortilla- shape, about 8 inches in diameter (use a tortilla press, if available).
- 7Place on a hot pan and cook briefly on one side.
- 8On the center of the tortilla, with the cooked side to the inside, put bananas, raisins, pecans and honey.
- 9With a small pastry brush, brush egg white around the edges and fold it over to form a half-moon shape.
- 10Press around the edges to seal with a fork.
- 11Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a wide frying pan and heat oil to 350 degrees.
- 12Fry empanadas for 2 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown.
- 13Remove from oil and let drain.
- 14Sprinkle powdered sugar over top, then cinnamon.
- 15Garnish with banana slices, pecans, and raisins.
- 16Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, top with the cherry and accompany with a pitcher of warm cajeta (caramel) sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ninfa's Banana Empanadas - Empanadas De Platanos
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.6
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 350.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: