Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old recipe that has become a family favorite. The only problem is it doesn't last long, is all eaten before you know it.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix water, cocoa, and baking soda first, set aside while mixing remaining ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar add eggs.
- Add half the flour and half the milk beat then add rst of flour and rest of milk.
- Last, add the cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Bake in two well greased and floured pans at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cake test done.
- Frost with your favorite icing.
- Cake will take on a red color after cooling.
Awefully nice! Good old-fashioned chocolate cake. I used a buttercream icing and decorated with chocolate shavings. I used buttermilk for the sour milk, and created a blend of low-carb or gluten-free flours (rice, amaranth, kamut, barley) instead of white or whole wheat. It's dense and heavier, but still yummy and satisfyingly chocolatey!