Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe calls for Monterey and Velveeta cheese, you may use 2-3 cups of any cheese that you have on hand ---plan ahead this casserole needs to chill for 3-24 hours.
- 6 slices white bread
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup canned water chestnut, drained and coarsly chopped (or use one small can)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed small
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 -6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Line bottom of pan with bread slices; sprinkle cooked chicken over bread slices.
- Sprinkle canned drained mushrooms over chicken.
- Combine water chestnuts and mayo; spoon over mushrooms, then sprinkle with both cheeses.
- Combine eggs, milk, seasoned salt and black pepper until well combined, then pour over cheese.
- In a bowl mix the two soups until well combined drizzle over the top of the cheeses.
- Cover, and chill 3-24 hours to let flavours blend.
- Remove from fridge; mix breadcrumbs with melted butter, sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F uncovered for 1 hour or more until hot and bubbly.
- If desied you may sprinkle grated cheese on top the last few minutes of baking, this is optional.