Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe if from "The Country Cooking Recipe Collection" and is a collection of their Prize Winning Salads. With my garden brimming with huge heads of cabbage this year, I am on the lookout of different ways of using it.
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- Combine dressing ingredients in saucepan; bring to a boil. Cool.
- Combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and sugar. Let stand until sugar dissolves.
- Pour cooled dressing over cabbage mixture; chill. Coleslaw keeps well in the refrigerator.
I use half the sugar called for on the cabbage and the cole slaw is great. It is a sweet and sour taste and you don't have to worry about mayonnaise staying cold at a picnic.