Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the 12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi, with a few tweaks from me. Cook time does not include marinating time.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 cup broccoli floret (or cauliflower)
- 4 green pepper rings
- 4 red bell pepper rings
- 2 slices onions
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (or black beans)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a 10-cup plastic container, combine vinegar through salt. Shake gently to combine.
- Add the oil and black pepper. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to blend.
- Ideally you'll want to set this aside for an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Combine salad ingredients to the container. Cover and shake vigorously to coat. Serve immediately or marinate for 2-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with almonds to serve.
Beautiful, healthy, easy salad! I made this for the week's lunches today, keeping the dressing separate - I'll toss two portions together each morning - simple! I added both broccoli and cauliflower, doubling the other veggies. The dressing is so delicious! Thanks for posting, Smelly! Made for my adopted chef, in Veggie Swap 20.
AWESOME. I was looking at the veggies, then tasted the dressing and thought, "Hmmmm, I don't know. Maybe it needs something else." NOPE!!!! It is good at first bite without any marinating at all. In the dressing I used fresh basil and oregano (just doubled the amts). For the salad I used the cauliflower option which I HIGHLY recommend. Used red, orange and yellow bell peppers for color. Threw in some celery (hey, why not). Used white beans which were great. Then subbed arugula for the spinach. AWESOME. UPDATE: this time I threw in some asparagus that I cooked in the microwave for 1 minute and subbed out the spinach for shredded kale. I also used tarragon vinegar and lime instead of lemon...and subbed some Sunny Paris seasoning for the herbs. Excellent after about 15 minutes of marinating! Love this stuff! I need to take this to the next potluck I go to as I know it would be well received!