Recipe by 2Bleu
This is a healthier version of Chef #88099's Creamy Chicken Spaghetti which we made for the 'Make it Healthier' tag game. We brought it down from 551 calories, 27 grams of fat, and 41.8 carbs. We omitted the olives and red pepper, used reduced-fat items, and changed the quantity of some items as well. All Lite-Bleu recipes are complete meals that we designed for our weight loss diet. Please visit our homepage for more info.
Top Review by DuChick
BIG deal here about how many stars for this recipe! I loved it (5), but my DH and DS said it was OK (3/4). So, taking an average and considering some of the changes I made that I think made it even better, we go w/ a 4 star. First, I used the full 6 oz of tomato sauce since I didn't have a use for the other 2 oz. I used a 10 oz. can Rotel since I couldn't find any other tomatoes in a 10 oz can. I used Healthy Request soup which is lower in fat, sodium and calories mixed with skim milk, and whole wheat spaghetti (more fiber!). Maybe due to the extra tomato sauce, my 2 1/2 qt. casserole dish was almost overflowing. I poked holes down to the bottom to let the soup mixture seep in and that helped, plus made it even creamier throughout. Also, couldn't find fat-free parm, so used the regular. I'd say this could feed a few more eaters. We each had seconds and I still have lots leftover for lunches! Thanks 2Bleu!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces spaghetti, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute' onion, peppers and garlic until tender.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the spaghetti in a medium sized casserole dish. Top with half the meat sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Mexican blend cheese.
- Repeat layer of spaghetti and meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese then the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix together the soup and milk. Pour evenly over casserole. Sprinkle with paprika to garnish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until heated through and slightly browned on top.