1/6 Photos of Nimbu Ka Chaval (Saffron Rice With Lime)
Adapted from Time-Life Foods of the World. Black mustard seeds are the same thing as brown mustard seeds. If you can't find them, you can use yellow ones, but the flavor will not be as strong. I listed the boiling water and the water used to cook the rice separately, for clarity. NOTE: you will need a casserole dish that is safe to use both in the oven and on the stovetop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water, divided
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed (any long-grain rice may be used)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup ghee (or butter)
- 20 whole cashews (unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 whole clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Place saffron in a small bowl and pour 1/4 cup boiling water over it.
- 3Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- 5Add rice, stirring constantly to keep water at a boil.
- 6Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- 7Cook over moderate heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 8Drain rice and set aside.
- 9Heat butter or ghee in a heavy 3-4 quart casserole with a tight-fitting lid.
- 10Add cashews, ginger, mustard seeds and clove.
- 11Cook, stirring constantly, until seeds begin to burst, about 1-2 minutes.
- 12Add remaining salt, chili pepper, rice, coriander, lime juice, coconut and remaining boiling water, stirring well.
- 13Sprinkle saffron and the water it soaked in over the top.
- 14Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 15Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- 16Place lid on top.
- 17Bake for 25 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all liquid.
- 18Fluff with a fork before serving.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nimbu Ka Chaval (Saffron Rice With Lime)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 821.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: