From Cook.com. In a Ted Allen blog, he gave the link to this recipe as his favorite way to make this pudding. Once you'll make it, you'll be hooked.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk; blend well.
- Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Spread small amount on bottom of 1 1/2 quart casserole; cover with layer of Nilla Wafers. Top with layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of the custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make 3 layers each, ending with custard.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until delicately browned.
- Cool slightly or chill.
- Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then stand Nilla Wafers upright around edge of dish.