Recipe by Ginny S.
Delightful Dessert. A new twist on an old favorite. Serve with whip topping or vanilla ice cream.
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled granny smith apples (about 4 large/2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄3 cup old fashioned oats or 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup cold margarine
- 25 reduced-fat vanilla wafers, crushed (about 1 cup crumbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed Cool Whip Lite or 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Toss apples with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1 teaspoons of the cinnamon.
- Spoon into 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.
- COMBINE oats, the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoons cinnamon in medium bowl.
- Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add wafer crumbs; mix well. Spread crumb mixture evenly over apples.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minute or until apples are tender. Serve warm or cooled. Top with whipped topping or Vanilla ice cream.