Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Easy, cheap, and will make a great addition to a Christmas tray. Or a special treat for the fam. This is also a great way to use up some vanilla wafers that are in the cabinet.
- 24 vanilla wafers
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Planters pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper; place 12 wafers 2-inches apart on each sheet.
- Heat sugar, brown sugar, cream and water in 3-quart saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring until temperature reaches 235°F (soft ball stage).
- Add margarine; do not stir. Cool mixture to 150°F, about 30 minutes. Add pecans and vanilla to cooled sugar mixture.
- With wooden spoon, beat 2 to 3 minutes until candy begins to thicken, but is still glossy. Quickly pour 1 tablespoonful praline mixture over each wafer. (If mixture becomes stiff, stir in a few drops water.)
- Cool pralines completely until firm; peel from waxed paper. Store in airtight container.