Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a japanese style beef stew made by morimoto on iron chef. It's not a traditional japanese recipe so don't give me grief about that. Be advised this recipe is sweeter then american beef stew.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large, ovenproof pan, heat a little oil, then sear beef both sides, until nicely browned.
- Add potatoes, carrots, baby onions, yellow, and red bell peppers and mix well with beef juices.
- Place pan in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Remove beef and vegetables from pan. Stem and seed the peppers.
- Cut the meat and vegetables into bite size pieces and set aside, keeping warm.
- Deglaze pan with sake. Add soy sauce, sugar and mirin. Thicken, if necessary, with cornstarch and water.
- Cover meat and vegetables with gravy. Sprinkle chive on top and drizzle chili oil on top, to taste.
Thanks for sharing! This stew was hearty and slightly sweet. I skipped the oven step and just suateed the veggies after searing the meat. I also added some chicken stock to balance out the strong sake flavor. Very tasty indeed.