Recipe by Xexe
This is a japanese style beef stew made by morimoto on iron chef. It's not a traditional japanese recipe so don't give me grief about that. Be advised this recipe is sweeter then american beef stew.
Top Review by Korkin'
Thanks for sharing! This stew was hearty and slightly sweet. I skipped the oven step and just suateed the veggies after searing the meat. I also added some chicken stock to balance out the strong sake flavor. Very tasty indeed.
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef rib eye
- 4 potatoes, halved and cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 12 baby onions
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet cooking sake)
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- hot chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large, ovenproof pan, heat a little oil, then sear beef both sides, until nicely browned.
- Add potatoes, carrots, baby onions, yellow, and red bell peppers and mix well with beef juices.
- Place pan in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Remove beef and vegetables from pan. Stem and seed the peppers.
- Cut the meat and vegetables into bite size pieces and set aside, keeping warm.
- Deglaze pan with sake. Add soy sauce, sugar and mirin. Thicken, if necessary, with cornstarch and water.
- Cover meat and vegetables with gravy. Sprinkle chive on top and drizzle chili oil on top, to taste.