Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Our exchange student, Mariko, prepared this wonderful dish for us and delighted our whole family. She says you may substitute some of the potatoes with carrots, and may substitute beef with pork.
- Freeze steak. Remove from freezer and thaw about 30 minutes, or until soft enough to slice (it should still be frozen). Slice into very thin strips of meat. Peel and cut potatoes into chunks. Soak potatoes in cold water 5 minutes. Slice onion into thin strips.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large frying pan. Cook beef over medium heat just until the outside turns color. Add the onions. When onions are soft add potatoes and cook 10 minutes.
- Add dashi, sugar, sake, mirin. Boil 5 minutes. Remove foam on the surface with a spoon.
- Make a foil cover, and push the foil down right on top of the ingredients (foil should go to the edges inside the pan). Simmer 10 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked but not mushy.
- Add soy sauce to your taste (more soy sauce reduces the sugary flavor). Serve with rice, and miso soup for a delicious meal.