Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The base of this was my mom's; I just adjusted it a little to my likings.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian spices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup water (optional)
- Brown beef with onions, season with salt and pepper to taste; drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients (water is optional depending on the thickness you prefer).
- Simmer a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Serve over pasta noodles of any kind.
I made this recipe for freezing in portion sizes for my husband as I'm going away on holidays. It is a perfect base for loads of other spaghetti meat sauces and is lovely on it's own. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Considerably different from the sauces I usually make, but that's not a problem, since we both do like variety! I did, however, cut the sugar back to just 1/4 cup & didn't add any water since we usually like our sauces thick! Served enough for the 2 of us & hen packaged the rest of it in 2-serving portions for the freezer! Great sauce, we thought! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars Tag]
This sauce is so yummy and easy to do. I used 1 small onion. I used lean ground beef. I didn't want to use 1/2 cup sugar so I used only 1 tablespoon. No garlic salt for us. And I didn't have to add water. I let it simmer covered. Thanks Nikki :) Made for 123 hit wonders