Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
When my daughter, Niki, was learning to cook she found this recipe someplace and everybody loved it. All the family asked for this when she was cooking. Most of her other dishes we didn't like. She has become a much better cook now but this is still our favorite.
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded yellow cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook rice: Bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- Add 1 1/2 cup rice. Cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet or medium sauce pan. Add chopped onions and sauté. Add flour and cook until flour is bubbly.
- Add milk and stir until mixture is thickened. This is a medium white sauce. Add ham, peas and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until ham and peas are warm. Slowly add cooked rice, layered with shredded cheese.
- Put in buttered casserole dish and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
I made this tonight for dinner and everyone cleaned their plate. I didn't use all the rice though, it would have come out dry if I had. This was a fast filling dinner and my 1 yr old could eat it, always a bonus. Thanks!