Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
this is a traditional brunch item from Pakistan -- served with Naan bread. this recipe is simple to put together but needs to cook several hours. i sometimes make it with boneless chicken + add a stock cube to get the stewy taste. if using beef - you can ask for "nihari meat" (its a special cut of meat) at your local Halal butcher shop.
- 1⁄2 kg beef
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 small cardamom pods, seeds of
- 10 cloves
- 2 whole black cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- Heat oil in a heavy based pot.
- Add meat and fry it a little.
- Add salt, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and ginger paste.
- Mix well. Add a little water.
- Dissolve flour in half a cup of water and add this to the meat and bring to boil.
- Grind all the whole spices ( spice mix).
- Put all the ground spices in a fine cotton cloth bundle.
- and add to meat.
- OR grind them till powdery fine and add them to the meat.
- Add 3-4 cups of water; cover and leave to tenderize on very low flame. It can take up to 5 - 6 hours if using chicken and more if using beef.
- When meat has softened remove the bundle of spices and make the curry into desired consistency.
- To Garnish--Fry some onion slices in a little oil until golden brown and add to Nihari.
- Also garnish with fresh coriander, ginger and green chilies.
Wonderful recipe, I have tried a lot of recipes from this website, a lot of them are very nice but this one compelled me to write a review, very nice flavour. Husband is a big nihari fan even though he is not pakistani but he loved the flavour too...thanks for sharing
thankyou very much for this delicious nihari recipe my husband is a very picky eater but when i made nihari with this recipe he really enjoyed the food again thank you so much