Galley Wench's Note:
I make this soup for our night crossings of The Sea of Cortez. Before leaving port, I prepare a pot of soup so we don't have to worry about dinner! A pressure cooker is great because it can also be used to hold the soup without refrigeration for several hours. I prepare the soup through step number 7, open it up and confirm that the bean are done, and then bring the pot up to pressure again, then remove from the heat. Later, when it's dinner time, I remove the lid, add the tomatoes and meat, returning the lid and bring back up to pressure to reheat. Even though this recipe has been written for a pressure cooker, it can be prepared in a soup pot. Also note that any combination of beans can be used!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried black beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto bean
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1Soak beans in fresh water for a minimum of 6 hours, or overnight, adding more water as needed to keep them covered.
- 3In a pressure cooker, saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- 4Add herbs and spices and saute for an additional minute.
- 5Add stock, maple syrup, jalapeno. beans, barley and lentils.
- 6Place lid on pressure cooker and bring pot up to pressure (following manufacturers recommendations).
- 7Cook for 17 minutes on low heat.
- 8Turn off heat and allow to cool until pressure has dropped and lid can be removed.
- 9Stir in tomatoes and sausage and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- 10Serve with garnishes and cornbread.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Night Crossing Soup (Pressure Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.8 mg
- Sodium 495.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: