Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
found this on cooks.com....sometimes i substitute the milk for heavy cream to get a richer flavor. chilling time not included in prep time.
- 1 (10 ounce) French bread (18-inch long)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Cut bread into 1 inch slices and arrange in one layer in bottom of pan.
- Beat eggs with remaining ingredients, except butter, and pour over bread in pan.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate 4-36 hours. To bake, uncover pan, dot with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees in center of oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with choice of syrup, honey, yogurt, or fresh fruit.
We have a 3 year old (who will eat anything) and twin 16-month olds (who are kind of picky!), and they all loved it. Of course, my husband and I did, too, but the fact that my kids will eat it was HUGE in our household. This is going in to my regular rotation.
my mil makes this every year for xmas morning. she gave me the recipe and it is already on here. i shared this recipe with my sister this year also and her whole family really loved it. this will always be a family tradition for us, thanks for posting!