Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From: “Flavors of Africa Cookbook” This unusual drink is served for either breakfast or dessert in Nigeria. It is particularly popular in Lagos.
- 1 tablespoon white rice
- 2 cups whole milk (I'll try 1%)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, more to taste (I'll try Splenda)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon orange zest or 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon zest
- Place the rice into a pan with the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and peel.
- Chill in the refrigerator and serve.
Loved this one! It has the flavors of rice pudding in a beverage. I had the first glass warm and would suggest serving it that way on a cold night and then had a cold glass over ice and the spices seemed to come out a little stronger that way. Both were delightful. Made for ZWT family Picks.
I liked this. I used whole milk and tried it with the 1 teaspoon of sugar. i also tried it with 1 teaspoon of honey instead of sugar. I enjoyed the one with honey more. I used lemon zest. I had this as a dessert and it was a nice end to the evening. I think this might be good to have warm before bed.