Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe from How to Eat by Nigella Lawson.
Make and share this Nigella Lawson Pea, Mint and Avocado Salad recipe from Food.com.
- First make the dressing: put the oil and vinegar and a pinch of sugar into a large bowl and then put in a decent handful of chopped mint.
- Stir well so all is amalgamated.
- Cook the podded peas for a short time in salted boiling water, just so they are ready, but not soft.
- Taste after 2 minutes and then keep tasting.
- Pour peas in colander and then straight away into the bowl of dressing and let steep for an hour or up to a day.
- Just before serving, stir in about a packetful of mixed salad, the chicory which has been separated into it leaves and the avocado, which should be cut into bite size chunky slices.
- You may need to drizzle a bit more oil after tossing.
- serve this on a big plate.
- Sprinkle with more mint.
I have also made this delicious recipe several times after first seeing it on the Nigella Bites tv show. I have successfully used granulated sugar in place of caster sugar with no problems. Also, when fresh peas are out of season, this is still delicious using frozen peas. This is an easy to prepare, tasty and elegant salad. One note: On the tv show, Nigella used "baby gems" in place of mixed greens - which are mini romaine lettuce heads(you could also use "hearts of Romaine"), which she tore up into chunks, but the mixed greens Kylie suggests above are obviously good as well. Chicory is also known as "Belgian Endive."
Lovely salad. I will try this next time with some feta as well.