Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
By Nigella Lawson from Nigella Express
- 175 g dried udon noodles
- 750 ml chicken stock or 750 ml vegetable stock or 750 ml dashi stock
- 1 teaspoon soft dark brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 75 g bean sprouts
- 75 g sugar snap peas
- 75 g sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 baby pak choi, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and divide between two serving bowls.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock, sugar, star anise, ginger and soy sauce to the boil in a saucepan.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for two minutes, or until just tender.
- To serve, pour the vegetable mixture over the noodles in each bowl and sprinkle with coriander.
The broth base for this soup is out of this world! I was amazed out how quickly this was to make. I stuck to the recipe, except I had no bean sprouts, so I just threw in a little extra snap peas and shiitake mushrooms. The soup is very satisfying, yet very light. Thanx for posting this!
watching her make this recipe has inspired a lot of variations on a theme for me. i make similar versions of this same recipe a couple times a month- low calorie, high flavor, food that just makes you feel good.
Hello, my "adopted joey" for Recipe Swap #19! This soup smelled great while cooking and was equally delicious. I think I will use the base broth for this recipe for other soups. Thank you for posting this recipe! Best wishes on posting many more!