1/1 Photo of Nigella Lawson Cupcakes
Kate's Kitchen's Note:
A colleague treated us to these Nigella Lawson cup cakes at her farewell morning tea. I was transported back to my sixth birthday party! They're also perfect for a "grown up's" afternoon tea party too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Nigella offers a very important tip to take everything you need out of the fridge in time to get to room temperature. This will give a lightness to the cupcakes later - and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2For those on a schedule, put all of the ingredients for the cupcakes except for the milk into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel, to make a smooth dropping consistency.
- 3Or if you're a bit more old fashioned using a bowl and wooden spoon, cream the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs one at a time with a little of the flour. Then add the vanilla extract and fold in the rest of the flour, adding the milk to get the dropping consistency as before.
- 4Divide the mixture between a 12-bun muffin tin lined with muffin papers, and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. They should have risen and be golden on top. Let them cool a little in their tins on a rack, and then take them carefully out of the tin to cool in their papers, still on the wire rack.
- 5Ice with Royal Icing.
- 6Royal Icing: *2 large egg whites (or substitute powdered egg whites, 3 cups confectioners' sugar(known to Australians as icing sugar. 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- 7Combine the egg whites and confectioners' sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer on medium speed until opaque and shiny, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the lemon juice, this will thin out the icing. Beat for another couple of minutes until you reach the right spreading consistency for the cupcakes.
- 8MUST use self rising flour. Substituting all purpose will result in cakes that do not rise, as no other levening agents are used in this recipe.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nigella Lawson Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.3
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 72.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 2.5 g