24 hrs 45 mins
Another Nigella recipe that I got off nytimes.com and have yet to try. Again, I omitted the oil called for in the recipe. (If you have no prob using oil, she calls for 1/4 cup peanut oil to be heated in the saute pan with the cinnamon stick)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted in
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1Soak apricots overnight in 2 cups cold water, or cover with 2 cups hot water and soak until swollen and softened, 2 to 3 hours.
- 2Prepare masala: In a small bowl, combine hot pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom, garlic and ginger.
- 3Add 1/4 cup water, and stir to make a paste.
- 4Set aside.
- 5In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat cinnamon stick.
- 6Add onions and salt, and sauté until onions begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 7Add masala, and stir.
- 8Add chicken, and stir for about 5 minutes.
- 9Add apricots and their soaking liquid, diced tomatoes and diluted tomato paste.
- 10Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- 11Check cooking liquid about halfway through; if chicken is covered with liquid, remove cover for remainder of cooking.
- 12Transfer to a large bowl, sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nigella Lawson Chicken & Apricot Masala
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.8
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 131.6 mg
- Sodium 586.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 54.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: