Recipe by Karen in MA
from Live with Regis & Kelly Nov. 5/07
Top Review by Sassy in da South
I came across this recipe in a recent People magazine. I can't believe I had missed out on this before! I needed a dessert for just the two of us for Thanksgiving and we loved the texture/taste. I just used store-bought croissants and added a touch of cinnamon. So glad to see it posted here so I don't lose the page I tore out of our magazine. Happy Holidays!
- 2 stale croissants
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Tear croissants into pieces and put in a small gratin dish.
- Put sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around to help dissolve the sugar before putting the saucepan on the burner over medium to high heat.
- Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away until it all turns a deep amber color. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and add heavy cream. Whisk in whole milk and bourbon. Take off the heat and, still whisking, add eggs.
- Pour the caramel bourbon custard over the croissants and leave to steep for 10 minutes if the croissants are very stale.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes….
- Serves 2 greedy people!