Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this in a cast iron skillet and it is a really great indulgence. We ate smoked sausage and green beans ith it. Yummmy!
- Set oven to 325F.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (1/8 in, thick).
- If the garlic is really juicy, cut the cloves in half and rub them all around an earthware or cast iron dish.
- A 9-by-13 Inch pan works well if you are using 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of potatoes; a 10-inch skillet will work for 2 lbs, pressing down to release the juices.
- Otherwise it might be better to slice the garlic thinly and tuck the slices between the potatoes.
- Smear the dish generously with butter.
- Please don't be stingy- you are only cheating yourself.
- Lay the potatoes in the dish,orderly or positively hugger-mugger, it matters not, seasoning with salt and black pepper as you go along.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes-it should just come to the top of the slices.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours until the potatoes are virtually melting into the cream.
- Enough for 6 as a side dish.