Recipe by Ciocia Laura
Best rich stock. Don't be tempted to keep the veggies because their goodness will all be in the stock. If you have livestock and wish to give them the cooked veggies, omit salt and add peppercorns later. (You can also leave peppercorns in chilled stock and remove later.) This works well with any meat or poultry whose stock you enjoy. Be sure to brown the bones well; it adds all kinds of flavour. Use any bones you like -- only the "recipe ghosts" made me type "soup bones". Any meaty bones will do. i also add thyme and rosemary "twigs" to the mix for beef or chicken stock. Cook down to concentrate flavour or finish uncovered.
- 4 lbs meaty soup bones
- 1 -3 onion
- 2 -4 carrots
- 2 -4 ribs celery & leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 -6 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 14 cups cold water (3.5 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Roughly chop vegetables.
- Place bones in pan with onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove pan from oven. Place contents in heavy bottomed pan. (A Dutch or French oven is perfect.).
- Deglaze pan with two cups HOT water.
- Add water, herbs and seasonings. Simmer for three hours.
- Add red wine vinegar. Simmer for two more hours.
- Jar and refrigerate, if not using immediately.