Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An excellent dish that is always a hit during family gatherings, even with the vegetarians! You can also cut the amount of cheese and it's a really healthy dish and vegan as well. Make the rice ahead of time. It can take a while for those little guys to cook and open. Enjoy!
- 1 cup wild rice, cook as directed to equal almost 4 cups cooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (juice too)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan.
- Mix all ingredients and add to 2 quart casserole dish and cover. Bake 1 hour at 350°F.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds on top (optional). I use them.
It was my first time cooking wild rice. It's expensive but it's worth it :) I used one small onion. I thought I had a can of diced tomatoes, but didn't. So I used 2 tomatoes, diced and a little bit of tomato juice. That's a very yummy dish :) Thanks Nif. Made for PRMR :)
This was a very tasty rice casserolle. The mushrooms and onion were really nice with the wild rice. I used the cheese on top and thought that was very yummy, too. However sadly I couldnt taste the tomatoes that much. Next time I think Ill use more of those instead of the water.
Mine was ready after 30 minutes in the oven, but I guess that depends on your rice and the oven.
THANKS SO MUCH for sharing a keeper, Nif. Ill make this again.
Made and reviewed for PRMR November 2012.
I scaled this down for two and really enjoyed it for supper yesterday. The almonds are a nice touch. Thanks! Made for PRMR.