Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
It's nice to have an easy recipe for cheese sauce on hand. You can drizzle this over broccoli, cauliflower or pretty much any other favourite veggie. It is also nice tossed with pasta but you may need to increase the amount of sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk very frequently for at least 2 minutes or until bubbly.
- Whisk in milk and heat until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in cheese and paprika until melted and smooth.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper to your taste.
What a great simple and easy cheese sauce! It was a snap to make and tastes decadently cheesy. :) I used a red Irish cheddar and used the sauce to make mac and cheese. Very tasty!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, Nif!
Made and reviewed for your win in the Sun and Spice Event February 2013.
I loved the taste of that cheese sauce. I served it on steamed brussel sprouts. I used sharp cheddar cheese. It gave a great taste to the sauce. It's very easy to do. I omitted the salt and cayenne pepper. Thanks Nif :) Made for Photo tag game
This was a winner for us. In less than ten minutes we made homemade mac-n-cheese. We are going to try using really sharp cheddar in the future to bring out more flavor.