This is an awesome soup that I make and freeze in individual servings to take to work for lunch. You can also use pot barley, but it will have to cook longer. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, trimmed, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushrooms, use juice too (if using whole mushrooms, cut in half)
- 1 3⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 12 cups nonfat beef broth (substitute chicken if no beef)
- 2 bay leaves
- Spray large pot with extra virgin olive oil spray. Over med-high heat, lightly brown beef and then add veggies, except for mushrooms. Saute for a 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaf, barley, mushrooms (with juice). Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until barley and veggies are tender. Remove bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.