Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Hola Amigos! This recipe is mui bueno! A healthy and easy recipe that adults and kids will both love. You can replace the ground beef with a vegetarian meat alternative or chicken. Also, you may want to add peppers when you add the tomatoes to the beef. Serve this with the crunchy veggies listed to catch the sauce and add some cold crunch to your hot burritos. NOTE: this is a big meal and might be too much for some people. My DH and I were hungry and ate our 2 burritos but our DS's could only eat 1 1/2 and were stuffed. Enjoy!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, your preferred level of heat
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 8 whole wheat soft tortillas, 12 inch
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- Brown ground beef in nonstick pan over medium for 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and water and simmer for 20 minutes or until water has evaporated. By doing this, you infuse the taco seasoning into the ground beef and it tastes great!
- Add sour cream, salsa and tomatoes and stir until heated through.
- Divide mixture between 8 soft tortillas, approximately 1/2 cup each.
- Spray shallow casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Roll up tortillas - fold the sides in first until almost touching. Then roll the tortilla and place seam side down in pan to ensure that filling does not run out. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F for approximately 25 minutes, until cheese has melted and burritos are heated through.
- Place 1/4 of the lettuce and on each plate and top with 1/4 of tomatoes.
- Place 2 burritos on top of fresh veggies on each plate.
This was really good. I used cottage cheese instead of sour cream. Skipped the water and added about 1 onion, 1 halapeno, and 1 cup salsa. Oh, and the cheese was taco chedder.
These were really good! Used Rotel instead of the chopped tomatoes and that added a little extra heat. Quite yummy! Will be making these again soon.
very good and simple recipe. i added a can of kidney beans and some jalepeno (not sure how it's spelled ^^) and it was delicious. i used emmenthal because i live in germany and it's hard to find grated cheddar here which also tasted fine, but probably would have been better with cheddar. overall, a delicious, very filling recipe with a nice kick