Recipe by Nif
A very yummy side to make while you are grilling your chicken or steaks. Enjoy!
Top Review by MIVeggie
This was wonderful! I made it tonight with leftovers of this pesto recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-basil-pesto-272133. I skipped the green onions and just went with the pesto, tomatoes, and cheese. I also brushed the outsides of the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkled on some garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper. They were so pretty that I just had to take pictures. Easy to make, excellent flavor - we'll definitely make these again. Thanks for a great recipe, Nif!
- 2 large roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley (optional) or 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scoop out seeds and most of the flesh from the tomato halves.
- Using only half the pesto, divide pesto in each tomato half and top evenly with green onion. Mix remaining pesto with mozzarella cheese. Top each tomato half with cheese mixture.
- Place tomato halves on tinfoil placed on a medium hot grill. They are done with the cheese has melted and the tomatoes have heated through.
- Top with parley or chives.