A tasty, healthy crock pot recipe that you will love to come home to on those chilly days. This is also a great meal to freeze in individual servings to take to work or school. I like to actually rinse the ground beef after it's browned. It is extra lean, but I always think if you can lower the fat and it still tastes great, then why not? Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef, browned and strained
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 (10 ounce) cans consomme
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup pot barley or 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Place all ingredients in crock pot and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and enjoy with a crusty roll.