Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Caprese salad is one of my favourites - it's so simple and celebrates great, fresh ingredients. I wanted to use chicken and had the ingredients for caprese salad so I decided to mix the two! It makes its own wonderful sauce, just using a few ingredients. We had this chicken dish with some simple buttered pasta. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (butterfly the breasts if they are very large)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil, chopped (I used baby basil and didn't chop)
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons good balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a nonstick pan. Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Cut 1/2 of the tomatoes in half and add all tomatoes to the pan. Cover pan, turn to medium and cook for approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove lid and add basil. Cook until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 180°F.
- Slide chicken and tomato mixture into an oven proof dish. Add 1 slice of mozzarella to the top of each breast. Place under broiler and heat until cheese has just started to melt. The time really depends on the heat of your broiler.
- Remove chicken from oven and drizzle with Balsamic vinegar.
This is an excellent idea, and perfect for caprese lovers! I made on slight change - when I went to defrost what I thought to be chicken breast, I realized was chicken breast cubes when it had defrosted! I just proceeded with the recipe as usual, though, and it worked out just fine. Also, rather than chop the basil, I did a chiffonade cut. This also was super quick to make. Thanks for sharing this creative idea.