1/4 Photos of Nif's Cheesy Garlicky Smashed Potatoes (Bbq or Oven)
Another last minute creation! Sometimes people call mashed potatoes "smashed" but these are really smashed! You can make this in the oven or on the BBQ. Use whichever spices you want and your favourite kind of cheese. Very easy and very tasty. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Poke holes with a fork in the potatoes and microwave until cooked through.
- 2Meanwhile, lay out 4 large pieces of tin foil. I always use the nonstick kind but you can use nonstick spray.
- 3Stir garlic into melted butter.
- 4When the potatoes are done cooking, place 1 on a piece of foil. With the side of a mallet or with a rolling pin, smash the potato! Not too hard, or you will redecorate your kitchen but hard enough to make it about 1" thick.
- 5Spoon on 1/4 of the garlic butter, sprinkle with seasoning salt and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- 6Fold foil over the potato, enough to completely wrap it up.
- 7Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining potatoes.
- 8Place foil wrapped potatoes over low heat on the BBQ. I find it hard to list a cooking time because grills cook at such different speeds. You might want this to end up crunchy on the bottom or just heated through. You decide! Just take a peek ever few minutes.
- 9If you have other items on the grill that you are waiting for, you can put the potatoes on the top grate. They also stay hot for quite some time.
- 10If you're cooking these in the oven, I wouldn't put them in there for any temperatures higher that 375°F Take a peek after 10 minutes and remove when you see how you like them done.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nif's Cheesy Garlicky Smashed Potatoes (Bbq or Oven)
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.4
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 231.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.7 g