Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious side dish that goes well with any kind of meal. I make it for family potluck dinners and it's always a hit! I have seen several versions of this casserole. This one stems from a Best of Bridge recipe that I modified because I dislike instant rice and like to use more fresh veggies! You can also use this as a main dish and add whatever protein you like to it - ham or chicken are great. Overlook the use of canned soup and Cheez Whiz (I rarely use them) and you'll be glad that you tried it. Enjoy!
- 2 cups long grain converted white rice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped to about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup Cheez Whiz
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- Cook rice as listed on the package. You can also use broth to add more flavour. Do not overcook!
- Meanwhile, heat butter over low-medium heat in a frying pan. Add onions, celery and broccoli and saute until softened. You do not want to brown the veggies.
- Set oven to 350F and spray casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix rice, sauteed veggies, black pepper, Cheez Whiz, canned soup and half the cheddar cheese. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle other half of cheddar on top of casserole and cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- If you are using this for a potluck, wrap the casserole dish in a large towel and dish will stay warm for a couple of hours.
Oh, this was pure comfort food for me tonight. I tried, but could not bring myself to buy Cheez Whiz, so used a little more cream of mushroom soup and a little more cheese. Delicious! Thanks. Made for PRMR game.