Recipe by Nif
This is a delicious side dish that goes well with any kind of meal. I make it for family potluck dinners and it's always a hit! I have seen several versions of this casserole. This one stems from a Best of Bridge recipe that I modified because I dislike instant rice and like to use more fresh veggies! You can also use this as a main dish and add whatever protein you like to it - ham or chicken are great. Overlook the use of canned soup and Cheez Whiz (I rarely use them) and you'll be glad that you tried it. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sharon123
Oh, this was pure comfort food for me tonight. I tried, but could not bring myself to buy Cheez Whiz, so used a little more cream of mushroom soup and a little more cheese. Delicious! Thanks. Made for PRMR game.
- 2 cups long grain converted white rice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped to about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup Cheez Whiz
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice as listed on the package. You can also use broth to add more flavour. Do not overcook!
- Meanwhile, heat butter over low-medium heat in a frying pan. Add onions, celery and broccoli and saute until softened. You do not want to brown the veggies.
- Set oven to 350F and spray casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix rice, sauteed veggies, black pepper, Cheez Whiz, canned soup and half the cheddar cheese. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle other half of cheddar on top of casserole and cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- If you are using this for a potluck, wrap the casserole dish in a large towel and dish will stay warm for a couple of hours.