1/10 Photos of Niederrheinische Stütchen (Lower-Rhenish Sweet Buns)
1 hr 30 mins
These little sweet bread rolls with raisins are very typical for the Lower Rhine Region. If you want to serve them the traditional way, slice them, spread them thickly with unsalted butter, then with Apfelkraut (apple butter) and top it with a slice of pumpernickel. But you can serve them with anything, they are heavenly. One of my favorite sweet treats for breakfast or the afternoon tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sieve flour into a large bowl and make a well into the middle.
- 2Crumble yeast into the well and add 2 teaspoons of the sugar and 4 tablespoons of the milk to it. Mix gently with a fork, adding just a little from the flour, to build the sponge. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- 3Add the rest of the sugar and milk, the very soft butter, eggs, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- 4Knead the dough with hands for about 5 to 10 minutes. Use some additional flour, if the dough is too sticky. The dough is ready, if the consistency is elastic and bubbles occur while kneading. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40-50 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- 5Meanwhile wash raisins and pat dry on paper towels. Line out a baking tray with parchment paper.
- 6Knead the dough again and mix with the raisins. Divide the dough into 12-14 parts and from round buns.
- 7Place the buns on the baking tray, but leave enough space between the buns. Cut the upside crosswise with a knife and brush the buns with melted butter. Let rise for another 10 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile preheat oven (430 F, 220 C).
- 9Bake Stütchen in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Niederrheinische Stütchen (Lower-Rhenish Sweet Buns)
Serving Size: 1 (1209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 38.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g