Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you thought the salad was great, wait till you try the sandwich! This needs to be weighted and refrigerated for ATLEAST 30 minutes for the fabulous flavours to 'meld' and 'marry' before chowing down.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread, 8 inch round (about 1 lb)
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced thin
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) canbest-quality tuna packed in oil, drained and broken up into chunks (Italian)
- 10 kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Wrap in paper or plastic bag and let stand 10 minutes to steam and soften.
- Peel and seed.
- Cut bread in half horizontally.
- Remove centers of each half, leaving a 1 inch thick bread shell all around.
- Combine oil, vinegar, basil and garlic in a small bowl.
- Brush inside of bread shell with this mixture.
- Layer anchovies, bell pepper, eggs, tomatoes, tuna, olives and parsley on bottom half.
- Season generously with pepper.
- Cover with top half of bread and press gently.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Cover with a tray or cutting board and place 3, 5 lb weights (various large cans) and refrigerate atleast 30 minutes.
- (can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead this is great picnic fare).
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Pierce each with a long toothpick and serve.
i loved this! in '99 i was in the audience of "emeril live" and he made a very similar sandwich and gave it to me and my dd. i used fresh grilled tuna for this, otherwise followed the recipe. this was a big hit at my office, i shared.