If you thought the salad was great, wait till you try the sandwich! This needs to be weighted and refrigerated for ATLEAST 30 minutes for the fabulous flavours to 'meld' and 'marry' before chowing down.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread, 8 inch round (about 1 lb)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced thin
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can best-quality tuna packed in oil, drained and broken up into chunks (Italian)
- 10 kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- 2Wrap in paper or plastic bag and let stand 10 minutes to steam and soften.
- 3Peel and seed.
- 4Cut bread in half horizontally.
- 5Remove centers of each half, leaving a 1 inch thick bread shell all around.
- 6Combine oil, vinegar, basil and garlic in a small bowl.
- 7Brush inside of bread shell with this mixture.
- 8Layer anchovies, bell pepper, eggs, tomatoes, tuna, olives and parsley on bottom half.
- 9Season generously with pepper.
- 10Cover with top half of bread and press gently.
- 11Wrap tightly in foil.
- 12Cover with a tray or cutting board and place 3, 5 lb weights (various large cans) and refrigerate atleast 30 minutes.
- 13(can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead this is great picnic fare).
- 14Cut into 6 wedges.
- 15Pierce each with a long toothpick and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nicoise Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.0
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 657.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 19.8 g