Recipe by dianegrapegrower
This is our family’s favorite Nicoise salad. You can substitute canned tuna or grilled chicken for the grilled tuna. Change out the vegetables to suit your taste. The dressing is the best part – flavorful enough to stand up to the potatoes and tuna, without overwhelming the greens. I like to use a mix of lettuces in this salad – for flavor and appearance. Serving size is a generous plateful.
Top Review by HeatherN
Loved it! I left out the potatoes since we're trying to eat low-carb and I used a pkg of tuna as opposed to grilling a tuna steak. I wish I could say I used produce out of my garden, but alas, it is too early in the season here in Iowa for that. I prepared double amounts so that I can have another salad for lunch tomorrow. I thought the dressing was very flavorful and didn't overpower any of the other ingredients. Thanks for a great summer recipe!
- 8 -10 ounces tuna
- olive oil
- lemon juice, and
- 4 cups lettuce, your choice
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 ounces green beans, cut in 2 lengths
- 2 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive, halved or left whole (optional)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped herbs, your choice. Parsley and chives are good
- 1⁄2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush tuna with lemon, olive oil, and pepper. Grill to desired degree of doneness. Set aside.
- Thoroughly combine dressing ingredients. Set aside. (We usually have a little dressing leftover).
- Heat water to boiling. Cook potatoes until tender, cool in iced water until room temperature. Remove, and pat dry. Cook green beans until crisp-tender, cool in iced water. Remove and pat dry.
- Toss salad greens and onion together. Drizzle with dressing, toss, and divide between two plates. Divide tuna between plates, and center on lettuce.
- Toss potatoes with 1-1/2 T. dressing, divide between the plates. Toss green beans with 1/2 T. dressing, and divide between the plates. Divide remaining vegetables and eggs between the plates, arranging attractively. Drizzle with dressing and serve.