For a summer lunch or dinner, one of my favorite salads. There is always a debate going on about this salad, what should be in there and what not. I don't use potatoes in mine, but if you like to add them, do so. I have added the sardines because I like them in this salad, but you can leave them out. The dressing can be drizzled over the salad instead of mixing it in, or you can use your own favorite dressing. Serve with some nice bread, and a glass of wine (of course!) Cook time of the beans is not included.
- lettuce leaf, of your own choice
- 8 ounces green beans, cooked but still crunchy
- 2 -3 hardboiled egg, quartered
- 1 small red onion, cut in rings
- 2 -3 tomatoes, skinned and in large chunks
- 8 ounces canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1⁄3 cup olive, halved or left whole
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped herbs, preferably a mix of parsley, chives and tarragon, approx
- salt and pepper
- anchovy fillet, chopped if desired
- quartered hardboiled egg
- sardines, drained from a tin (optional)
- cucumber, sliced or chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped small caper
- Mix the oil and vinegar for the dressing, add salt, pepper and the herbs.
- Toss together carefully, the dressing, beans, eggs (keep one for the garnish), onion, tomatoes, tuna, garlic and half of the olives; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile in the center of the serving dish on top of the lettuce leaves, make it look as attractive as possible, finish the salad with the garnish ingredients.