Recipe by Debber
It was my fault for not taking the package of chicken out of the freezer in the morning before I went to work and THEN at 4:30 actually thinking, "this will get done in time for supper." Still, dinner would've turned out well (delicious, even) if only a certain "someone" (who shall remain nameless, except for the recipe title!) could've waited another half-hour for the meat to cook through and the rice to get fluffy. :rofl: Instead, that long-ago dinner was a concoction of bloody-bone chicken and molar-tingling crunchy-hard rice in a soupy mess. Now...if THIS description doesn't inspire you, I don't know WHAT will!? .......Honestly, this is a very wonderful comfort food recipe.....just don't start with completely frozen chicken and think that it will be done in the one-hour baking!
Top Review by Gardenwife
This is a good recipe. I improvised a little, but followed the basic plan. I cubed three boneless, skinless chicken breasts in place of bone-in chicken pieces. Also, I used 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth in place of the milk, plus about 1/2 cup skim milk. I also put in one bag of frozen broccoli, which I'd run under hot water in a strainer to thaw a bit before adding it. Since we like oregano and basil, I added that. I didn't have onion flakes, so I used part of a packet of onion soup mix, just adding the onions from it. My husband and I decided this is a winner!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream soup (chicken, mushroom, etc.)
- 2 cups milk (or water)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (not drained)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 10 pieces chicken, uncooked (thighs & drums)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix soup and milk, reserving one cup; pour remainder into UNgreased 13x9 cake or casserole pan.
- Add rice, mushrooms and minced onion to the soup-milk, mixing well.
- Lay chicken pieces over rice-soup-milk mixture, pour reserved milk over the top of the chicken.
- Cover with foil, sealing edges TIGHTLY.
- Bake for one hour; uncover and bake until golden & bubbly (about 15-20 more minutes).