Recipe by marisk
This isn't exact but it's pretty close to Nickey's recipe for meatloaf. It's hard when someone doesn't measure! Sorry--times are estimates.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small maui onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs, dry breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 -2 tablespoon ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan then add onions, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally, until onions are translucent then remove from heat.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, broth, and tomato paste.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs. Mix but don’t over mix.
- Place bacon strips on bottom of pan, then shape meatloaf on top.
- Top with about 1-2 tablespoons of ketchup.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Leftovers make a great sandwich.