Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
This is a very simple recipe. It's pretty much dump everything in the pan and let the breadmachine make the dough ... all you have to do then is put it in the pan and bake it! We use bread flour but all purpose flour works fine. Sometimes I make it with all white flour and sometimes with more wheat. I use a dark metal, non-stick 10 inch loaf pan. Timing will depend on how long your machine takes to make dough (mine is 120 minutes; it includes first rising time) and how long you let it rise for the second rise. Regarding pictures...whole loaf has both white and wheat flour and the sliced loaf has all white flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Place ingredients in bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Mix ingredients using the dough cycle. Add a little water or flour if needed after a few minutes (dough should be moist but dry enough to pull away from the sides of the pan.).
- When dough is ready, place on a lightly floured board and punch down. Roll up from short end then place in a 10 inch loaf pan seam side down (you may need to grease the pan.) Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes or until the rise is just over the top of the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until done (I bake at about 340).
- Remove from pan and place on a cooling rack. Rub top of loaf with butter. Let completely cool before storing.