Recipe by White Rose Child
I was doubling a granola recipe and, while editing lots of other ingredients, I decided to switch up the spicing from just good ol' cinnamon! Now I'm posting it here to remember what I did. Hope you enjoy it, too.
Top Review by CoffeeB
I automatically doubled this recipe as I knew a granola recipe written by Amber had to be yum yum. The only thing I omitted was the coconut. I did add in two scoops of whey protein powder (vanilla) as well just b/c I can never get enough protein in my diet being a veg/head. I love the addition of the different spices and especially the ginger...comes through nicely. The smell was heavenly. This is a nice clumping granola recipe and one I will use repeatedly to mix in w/my granola and fruit combo I have for lunch most days. MMMMmmmm!!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, broken
- 1⁄4 cup almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Note about nuts & seeds: You can vary the proportions of these three, or try entirely different ones if you like. You can also add more coconut if you're a big fan.
- Mix the first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cook at a simmer for a minute or two, then pour this over the oat mix. Stir all together thoroughly. (I find a fork works well.).
- In a 275 F oven, bake on two pans for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring and switching racks every 10 minutes. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
- A serving is about 2/3 cup (for me, anyway). Enjoy with lots of milk/soymilk and fruit on top!