Recipe by Mark O.
Easy and very delicious tasting soft pretzels. Can subsitute pretzel salt for the coarse ground salt.
Top Review by yibbityibbit
These were easy enough to make, I substituted half the flour with wheat flour, and I'd be interested to try them without that adaptation. In my opinion, these were too salty. I'd cut the salt back by at least two tsp to start with. I also wonder if there wasn't too much soda in the boiling water, that may have added to the saltiness. They WERE soft in the middle and nice and chewy on the outside. I did some with cinnamon and sugar and liked those better than the plain.
- 3 packages yeast
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 pinches sugar
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 12 -15 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups water
- salt, coarse
Directions See How It's Made
- Knead 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise until it doubles.
- Make ropes 18 inches long and twist into pretzel shape.
- Boil: 4 cups water and 4 tsp. baking soda.
- Drop 3 pretzels in and boil 1 minute or until they float.
- Remove, drain, and place on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with coarse or pretzel salt.
- Bake@ 475 degrees for 12 minutes.