Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A good side for most meats and seafood.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 green onions, sliced (include some tender green tops)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped cashews
- 6 cups chicken stock (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 whole cashews, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven.
- Add in the mushrooms, onions, and garlic; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add in rice; stir about 1 minute.
- Add in seasonings and chopped cashews; stir.
- Add in stock; stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake 1 1/4 hours or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large decorative serving dish; sprinkle with parsley and garnish with whole cashews.
This was very, very good! I used long grain white rice instead of brown rice as that was all I had. It worked out great. Next time i think I will add the green onions when the rice is done so they will keep their flavor better. Thank you, NurseDi. Great recipe!